Saturday, May 27, 2017

Blind Q&A: Travel Technique


Hello, dear readers,
 
I want to apologize for the late posting of this. I wanted to ensure that you received the best content, and so it took a little longer than expected. However, as promised, here is the first installment of “Blind Q&A.”

            In this installment, my lovely volunteers and I will be discussing some of our travel techniques.

Q. Why do some people use a cane and others a guide dog? What are some advantages and disadvantages of both?

*Swatha N: It’s based mostly on preference. I like using a cane because I like knowing exactly what is in front of me and I like finding obstacles with it.

*Leena K: Some people use canes because they’d rather not have the responsibility of having to take care of another living thing’s needs. Some feel they do well with a cane and don’t need to change. Some use dogs because they veer while using canes, so they want extra help from a guide dog to keep them going straight. Others like the companionship of having a guide Dog. Having used both, I can definitely speak to this. A cane gives you more information about the specific items around you like chairs and poles. With a guide dog, you go around the obstacles. It’s a smoother walk, but it doesn’t provide specific information so finding landmarks like trash cans or poles is not quite as easy.

*Raven W: Mostly it’s because that is what the cane or dog user is more comfortable with. Canes are considered less of a hassle because you can fold it up or toss it in a corner when it’s not in use. Dogs require more space and care. I use both a cane and a dog. I personally like using a dog better because I feel safer and more independent, but there are times where a cane is better for certain situations.

*Michael H: I love guide dogs and plan on getting one in the future, but they are not for everyone.  Besides the obvious necessity to be able to care for the dog, guide dog owners must have very good independent travel skills.  The dog will lead you safely, but you have to know where you want to go and how to get there.  Guide dogs can’t read street signs or traffic signals; they just help lead a blind person through their environment safely.

Q. How often do you guys get lost?

*Michael H: Much more often than we would like, but much less often than you would expect.  Usually, it isn’t that we don’t know where we want to go or how to get there; we’ve just misinterpreted (or missed altogether!) some environmental cue, causing us to misjudge where we are and/or what to do next.

*Leena K: It depends on where I am. In familiar areas where I’ve learned routes, it’s extremely rare. When I’m learning, all the time.

*Raven W: It really depends. Factors like weather conditions and loud noises can really mess with a blind person’s sense of orientation. I will say that a lot of the travel skills I have, I’ve gained from being lost and problem-solving my way to my destination.

 
Please stay watchful for the next installment of this Miniseries.

No comments:

Post a Comment